- pull out the miter board and saw
- go to Lowe’s and by the lattice trim in 6 foot sections
- make sure you have a can of powdered Durham wood putty
- pull out the mouse sander
- make a pot of coffee
- hunt down the tape measure in the junk drawer
- drink more coffee
- find a pencil
- measure 4-6 inches from outside edge and mark. outline where you want your detail lattice strips to go. There are no set rules here. I went with two panels. You could make 3 or even 6 -8 smaller one side by side all the way down the door. Look on my Pinterest board for some awesome ideas.! http://www.pinterest.com/galenclick/doors-to-die-for/
- once you measure tops and bottoms and cut them out, then measure and cut side pieces. I like to label everything as i got so each piece has a know spot to go to.
- use that electric stapler with the brad nails, and attach your pieces to the door
- go drink more coffee, have a cigarette or pet the cat.
- get the nail set tool and hammer and tap on each brad so it sinks into the board. You do not want to see these when you get ready to paint. Your friends do not want to see them when they come over to visit either.
- now put on some latex gloves, grab a disposable bowl and mix your wood filler and water together. Should look and feel like peanut butter when you do it right.
- fill in the hole, any gaps between the board and door, and fill in any seam between joints in the corners where the boards meet. Now it should look like this.
- go to bed or watch a movie. your done for the day.
- You can take the doors off the hinges, (hahahahahaha), or you can sand the doors just where they are. Mind you, you will have to dust the house afterwards.
|Re face old plain doors|
|Finish re faced door|
After you are rested, (this could take days), then you can paint your doors. I choose a slate Black in a satin sheen. I suggest you use an enamel, I used eggshell. I can wipe it off, and unfortunately I do, a lot, every week, drives me nuts. Too lazy to repaint them again. I’m dealing with it.
I refaced this door, the guest bathroom door, my bedroom door and the guest room door.
By the way I love the monkey wallpaper. It is weird and different like me. Deal with it.
Now when you give Galen a gallon of paint and a new ergo paint brush she won’t stop there. Oh no, now the front door looks weird all white. So now I go paint the inside of the front door.